In our house, the minute it starts snowing is the tip-off to get the split pea soup going! This recipe is rich, thick, hearty and works as an entire meal, especially if you add these buttery croutons which are insanely delicious! Allow time to simmer on the stove-top, at least an hour or until the peas have broken down and the ham is tender. Enjoy!
2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
One package split dry green peas
Ham bone from smoked ham
Extra ham from leftover shank or butt half, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 small potatoes, cubed into 1/2" pieces
4 stalks celery, chopped (with leaves)
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups water
2 beef boullion cubes
Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the ham and ham bone, garlic, onion and carrot in dutch oven.
2. Add water, bouillon cubes and bring to a simmer.
3. Skim foam that comes to the top of the pot.
4. Add peas, carrots, celery, potatoes and bring to a simmer. Re-skim if necessary.
6. Allow soup to simmer until well blended.
7. Serve with or without buttery croutons. (Recipe follows)
3 cups day old Italian bread, cubed
2-3 tbsp. melted butter
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Line cookie sheet with foil.
2. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, salt and pepper, olive oil and melted butter (and optional* herbs if desired).
3. Mix with your very clean hands to be sure the cubes are covered completely with the butter/oil/herb mixture.
4. Spread out on to cookie sheet.
5. Bake 10 mins @ 400F, until crunchy and golden brown.
6. Serve with hot pea soup and watch them disappear!
*Optional herbs: Can add thyme, rosemary,