SOUTHWESTERN POBLANO CORNBREAD
For our Super Bowl celebration, we whipped up an easy batch of buttermilk cornbread, spiked with some southwestern corn for added spice and texture. Thanks to The Food TV network and Paula Deen for guidance on this savory treat. Less than an hour from start to finish, here's how we did it:
2 large eggs, beaten with a fork
1-1/2 c buttermilk OR 1 c whole milk + 1/2 c sour cream
1 c southwestern corn (includes chiles, poblano peppers and other Tex-Mex ingredients - we used Del Monte in a can)
6 T melted butter
2 T butter for pan
1 c white cornmeal
3/4 c flour
1 T sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Grease a 9" x 9" baking pan with butter.
3. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
4. Mix all wet ingredients except for corn in smaller bowl.
5. Gently fold in Southwestern corn.
6. Pour into baking pan and bake for 25 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Enjoy with your favorite chili or chicken 'n' ribs!